I had heard, perhaps incorrectly, that Steve's group's Red-necked Grebe on the
SFO Montezuma overnight trip was at Van Dyne Spoor Road. At any rate I did not
see it then, and only found the one at Carncross Roat on 25 May which is when
eBird reports for it start. I don't think it could've hidden at Carncross Road
from eBird reporters for over a month, although maybe if it can fly and moved
from the Morgan Road impoundment or Van Dyne Spoor Road it may have been able
to remain undetected. I don't know if high waters would've allowed it to swim
between those places, but I don't think it would've walked, as injured geese
do. There's been a lot of migration lately, so I'm not convinced this late bird
is such a long-term visitor or injured bird. Snow Geese, however, typically do
stay over after being wounded by hunters, and the Snow Goose at Carncross´╗┐,
even though it can fly now, I would readily believe has convalesced locally.
But I think grebes aren't supposed to be hunted and so I think they aren't as
typically injured by hunters. That's my speculation.

--Dave Nutter