I agree Sunday was a good migration day for Turkey Vultures. At about 1pm I was
near the Lab entrance looking at the western skyline beyond the pond, and I
watched a near-continuous line of them flying south, about 60 all told. They
were gliding and gradually losing altitude, and when they got low enough to
almost be blocked by trees for me, one of them would find a thermal and start
circling up. Then all those behind it in line would veer into the thermal, and
suddenly there would be 20 birds kettling. But it seemed they would only circle
a few times (2 or 3? it was distracting, but I should have tried harder to
follow a single bird) before they would peel off the top and continue south. I
saw this a couple of times there, and then when I went to the Freese Road
Gardens I saw it again, once to the west and once almost overhead. I saw about
a hundred southbound Turkey Vultures altogether. There were also a few apparent
locals, by their behavior.

--Dave Nutter