I counted 74 tv's golfing cornell's course today with most of them before
12
Jim Gaffney

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2014, at 8:26 PM, Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com> wrote:

I agree Sunday was a good migration day for Turkey Vultures. At about 1pm I
was near the Lab entrance looking at the western skyline beyond the pond,
and I watched a near-continuous line of them flying south, about 60 all
told. They were gliding and gradually losing altitude, and when they got
low enough to almost be blocked by trees for me, one of them would find a
thermal and start circling up. Then all those behind it in line would veer
into the thermal, and suddenly there would be 20 birds kettling. But it
seemed they would only circle a few times (2 or 3? it was distracting, but
I should have tried harder to follow a single bird) before they would peel
off the top and continue south. I saw this a couple of times there, and
then when I went to the Freese Road Gardens I saw it again, once to the
west and once almost overhead. I saw about a hundred southbound Turkey
Vultures altogether. There were also a few apparent locals, by their
behavior.

--Dave Nutter