I spent a good part of the morning wandering around the Lindsay-Parson’s
Preserve in West Danby. I did not find anything new for the season, and overall
things were rather quiet.

There was a pair of BROAD-WINGED HAWKS calling briefly back and forth near the
top of Maple Avenue.

The new road from the fire station up to the water tower had a pair of WOOD
DUCKS (small pond on the right at the start of the road) and a BLUE-HEADED
VIREO singing lustily as it foraged in the treetops (and answered by a second
one in the distance). Otherwise, only titmice, juncoes, and Bluejays up there.
The large pond on the left on the way in has a growing Great Blue Heron colony,
with birds on at least four of the nests.

I climbed part way up the hill from Station Road, south into the preserve,
hoping for some new warblers. There, again, were several Blue-headed Vireos,
juncoes, and a couple of PURPLE FINCHES. And a pair of HERMIT THRUSHES.

Along the blue trail in the preserve were the two resident BROWN THRASHERS, a
couple of FIELD SPARROWS, numerous (20+) RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, and a flock of
some dozen YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. Lots of Tree and Barn Swallows and a Raven
calling in the distance. Keeping my eyes open for raptors, I was surprised to
see an OSPREY hovering overhead. Are the nesting around Spencer Lake just to
the south?

Bob McGuire