Red-breasted Nuthatches are periodically irruptive species out of the boreal
forest. They tend to go south months before other irruptives, usually first
showing up in August. It looks like this is going to be an irruption year.

From: bounce-120802766-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-120802766-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Asher Hockett
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 10:01 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Red Breasted Nuthatches

Carol's post reminded me that we have had RB Nuthatches visiting our feeder for
most of the summer. Lately it's been two (at least) at a time. These birds are
not flustered in the slightest by my presence near the feeders. We take them
down every night to discourage raccoon visits, and the nuthatches and
chickadees will keep coming for seed even as I am taking the feeders off the
hooks.

My guess is that the RB's like the Hemlock Forest we live in, as they were a
rarity at Comfort Rd only 4 miles away, where we were on the edge of a mixed
hardwood forest with a meadow adjoining.

We also still have Purple Finches and RB Grosbeaks daily, as well as the usual
suspects including the audible local Ravens and Red-shouldered Hawks

--
asher
Subscribe, Configuration and