Chris et al,

I appreciate your comments and fully agree. We are blessed that after 31
years the restoration work to the sanctuary here has really come to
fruition. The creation of multiple water features and habitat niches has
proven very successful as has design/placement of nest boxes. The
elimination of people traffic from the sanctuary of a conservation
easement has also been of benefit to the wildlife.

That said, we have also experienced this crazy spring "pattern". We've
been studying the timing and routing of migration for the three decades
we've worked here and are as flummoxed as everyone else.

Some considerations. First weather favored a stop south of us and at
times an overflight as shown by the arrival of species in Ontario well
ahead of our area. Early and profuse blooming favored nectaring species
to either stay south or come late. The local landscape view has changed
radically and rapidly with the growth of agribusiness dairies, removal
of hedgerows and even woodlots, that added to all the other man induced
migration hazards of course! That same redo of farming methods has
extirpated many avian species in our area. Several sparrow and warbler
species are simply no longer here or about.

For comparison:

> Yellow Warblers, everywhere? Nope. abundant
> Rose-breasted Grosbeak -Nope . abundant
> Baltimore Orioles, everywhere? Nope. several
> Red-eyed Vireos, everywhere? Nope. many heard -even in the dooryard
> Chipping Sparrows, everywhere? Nope. a few pair but they go very sneaky
> during nesting so we'll see once young fledge
> Common birds absolutely everywhere? Nope. As above -several missing
>
> A final note and observation. Thirty years ago, bird life and song was
> plentiful as was competition for habitat. I think we all agree that species
> numbers have plummeted and this is quite observable in the paucity of
> territorial competition and later song during nesting. Just isn't there these
> days.
> Best,
> John

---
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists
Kestrel Haven Migration Observatory
5373 Fitzgerald Rd
Burdett, NY 14818
42.443508000, -76.758202000

On 2017-06-17 13:52, Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes wrote:

> [...]
> John and Sue Gregoire
> Field Ornithologists
> Kestrel Haven Migration Observatory
> 5373 Fitzgerald Rd
> Burdett, NY 14818
> 42.443508000, -76.758202000
>
> On 2017-06-17 12:40, Glenn Wilson wrote:
>
>> We usually have a dozen or so flying and nesting until mid summer. I haven't
>> seen a single one since early swallow migration.
>>
>> Glenn Wilson
>> Endicott, NY
>> www.WilsonsWarbler.com [1]
>>
>> On Jun 17, 2017, at 8:34 AM, John and Fritzie Blizzard
>> <job121...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> We've had one nesting pr. with 5 young expected to fledge in 11 days.
>> Usually have at least 3 pr. with many others flying about. Not so this yr..
>> Same with barn swallows. For the last 2 yrs. we've not had more than a doz.
>> of either lining up on our power line in late summer before migration. Used
>> to be many, many dozens. :'(
>>
>> The 100 acres behind us were mowed on Wed.. I didn't see a swallow. Same
>> when the school lawns are being mowed. Always before the birds were swooping
>> overhead in great numbers to get insects. We no longer see those many
>> insects.
>>
>> Rachel Carson ... we need you again to lead a new fight.
>>
>> Fritzie Blizzard
>>
>> Union Springs
>>
>> --

>> [4]
>>
>> ARCHIVES:
>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html [5]
>> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
>>
>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>>
>> --
>>
>> --

>> [4]
>>
>> ARCHIVES:
>> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html [5]
>> 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
>>
>> Please submit your observations to eBird:
>> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
>>
>> --

> Welcome and Basics [2]
> Rules and Information [3]
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [4]
> ARCHIVES:
> The Mail Archive [5]
> Surfbirds [6]
> BirdingOnThe.Net [7]
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [8]!

> Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
> Field Applications Engineer
> Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
> 159 Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850
> W: 607-254-2418 [9]   M: 607-351-5740 [10]   F: 607-254-1132 [11]
>
> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp
> Welcome and Basics [2]
> Rules and Information [3]
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [4]
> ARCHIVES:
> The Mail Archive [5]
> Surfbirds [6]
> BirdingOnThe.Net [7]
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [8]!

Links:
------
[1] http://www.wilsonswarbler.com/
[2] http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME