Thank you all for the replies.

Asher, Sandy, Laura, and Meena suggest dark-eyed junco.  Laurie suggests
bluegrass gnatcatcher, or one of the little flycatchers,willow or alder.  My
one glimpse could have been a junco, but it really was just a glimpse.

The song has been very consistent all three days I heard it - a high trill,
then a trill about a major third higher.  That’s what it does!

It’s in a smallish grove/hedgerow between two fields, with a larger grove
acrosss the road.  It sings from a place I can’t spot, except for the one time
I saw it, when it was singing from the top of a dead tree at the side of the
road.  Some of the time it was in walnut trees.