Alyssa,
I know I have to fight the insects for my share of the mushrooms I like to
eat, and it makes me wonder if the birds know how mushrooms can be loaded
with bugs. Did you get the sense that the birds were consuming the
mushrooms, or rummaging through them for insects? Very interesting behavior!
Maryfaith