Yes, I meant to write 'dogs'.

Thanks for your comment, even though you confused part of the issue. Both birds
and birdwatchers are at stake when arrogant dogowners let their dogs loose, and
both in Ithaca and in New York city. You perhaps did not read the news or
perhapos missed the earlier thread. But, clarifications below.

Also I do *not* mean to say every dog-owner is evil. Some may be well behaved
and some may be good people. And yes - some dogs may have therapeutic value.

Mainly this is about dog (or cat-) owners that let their dog loose where not
allowed, or, anywhere in breeding season. We have already turned so much of
wildlife areas into golf courses and Walmarts, that we owe it to the wildlife
to at least observe basic rules like that.

I hope you agree.

I should end here, because I don't want to take up too much bandwidth. Feel
free to just hit delete, but I'll take up the challenge below. (I will digress
away from birds, but also circle back to them).

--I do feel strongly there is an unbroken line from the arrogance of the taking
of the land, to the arrogance of letting dogs loose on it. It's the same
spirit: I do it because I can. My dog will bite you, scare you, I use it to
intimidate you - and whatever bird you wanted to see. I don't need your rules.

The dogowner at 'Hog Hole' (what an atrocious name, by the way) who
intentionally let his monster dog jump on my wife, just weeks ago, and who
refused to leash the dog even then, despite our pleas, and despite all the
signs about how all dogs must be leashed there - he's a lead example of the
worst kind of callous, evil dog-owner, and, he was the one that prompted the
original thread with produced such surprisingly numerous examples of similarly
arrogant dogowners around Ithaca, as you may recall if you read those many
messages from people either similarly victimized by dogowners, or who witnessed
dogs set loose on wildlife.

Note that right at the Hog Hole place(near Treman marina) these dogowners have
a huge fenced area set off just for them and their dogs - yet not a small
number of them still insist on letting them run around the entire park, scare
off all the birds, and jump on people (sometimes on me, too), and so on.

Then, why are they so nasty? Why the wilful setting aside of laws and rules, to
bully both birds and people, as we see both at Hog Hole - and in Central Park?

I see these dog-owners as indulging in a peculiarly self-righteous evil, which
does connects right back to the logic of colonialism, which was, and remains: I
took it, I own it, I do whatever I want with it, that is Law Number One. In our
area, this connects right back to the blatant stealing and murdering which is
how this country was "made", including specially here in Ithaca, where the ash
is still smouldering after Town Destroyer George Washington sent his henchmen
here to kill and burn and starve the original landowners out of here, and then
run the place using slavery.

This is straight out of John Locke, by the way, who, regardless of previously
existing rules or forms of ownership, gave this idea of self-righteous
appropriation legal shape, so as to support slavery and colonialism, in which
he himself was so invested. BTW it's amazing how much slavery there was after
the conquest right here around Ithaca; I teach the slavery and the colonization
as part of my courses on world slavery, on indigenous peoples, and so on, at
Cornell. (We may guess that beastly dogs were a big part of both the conquest
and slavery but I don't know that part of the story).

Now let me digress some more and tell a story that, for me, best encapsulates
how peculiar spirit of entitlement to do whatever, on conquered land, survives
in the present:

On a Queens beach in New York a few years ago I was tending to my little boy
when a mother sitting next to me buried her cigarette butt in the sand. So I
told her, "Don't do that. Kids play here." Her answer: "My people came to this
country long before you ever came here." Hearing a foreign accent, she gave her
gut reaction - 'I was here first, so I own this place, so I can spoil the land
whichever way I want, and you should just shut up, and go back to where you
came from' - That's the spirit! In my case, I was trying to speak for the kids
on the beach - I wasn't even thinking of birds or sea animals but of course it
is because of this same arrogance that the ocean floor is now covered with junk
and cig butts. But, who's a Foreigner to tell a Colonist she can't bury her cig
butt in this sand!

We should agree that this spirit is exactly the same as that of the infamous
gang of armed thugs out West, who flaunted the rules and occupied federal lands
-- and then after they were finally arrested, gloves on, they were let go by a
jury of the same mindset. As many said at the time, imagine if they had been
Black, or Indian!

I feel that Christian Cooper was given exactly this treatment in Central Park.
I take the woman's racist reaction to him as clear evidence - trying to frame
him to the police as a Black assailant, was clearly her means of countering his
voice of reason - in his case trying to speak for the birds, not for himself!
Because Christian Cooper was Black, the Lady saw him as having No Right to
speak, whatever his reason. She obviously thinks that *She* Owns Central Park
/this Beach/ this Country - and she lets her dog loose to show it, and indulge
in this feeling of "I own this, so I can ruin it, who's a Black dude to stop
me." That's why she tried to use his "race" to deflect from her flaunting of
the rules.

That's my interpretation anyway: In sum, my argument is, both at Hog Hole and
in Central Park, we're looking at the weaponization of dogs for the owner's
psychological satisfaction in flaunting the rules and impose on others. And,
that the roots of this go back to the Might-is-Right behavior of the conquest
and slavery of the recent past.

You can disagree, but then I'd like to hear an alternative theory as to, just
why are those people so nasty?

-- Finally, I would love if someone can point me to a history of dog-keeping in
the US, from the time of slavery to the current preoccupation with dogs, which
perhaps could support me, in my interpretation (and perhaps it would even show
that the dog-owning itself started out as a psychological substitute for
slavery).

ps. Don't take me to mean to say that the bad guys win: It's a struggle.
Slavery was indeed abolished, for one thing.

And of course many people do follow the rules of the park and put their dog on
a leash when the signs ask them to. These are good people who have understood
that we need shared rules to coexist and survive, especially now that there is
no Wild West anymore, and no more Great Outdoors, and the planet is under
threat. Globally, countries like China ravage the ocean and fill it with
plastic, just because they can - never mind it's coming to an end. But, same
there: can we please have shared rules of decency in ocean fishing and
polluting, before it's too late? Such big questions are of course much more
important than whatever dog-owner ruins our birdwatching visits to Hog Hole,
Ithaca, or Central Park, NYC, or causes damage to the last few birds that try
to live there.

But they are the same, and perhaps there is symbolic value in New York's
Central Park, like in Ithaca, if some of that subset of nasty dogowners can be
shamed or forced into complying with the rules, and to show some decency.

Not all the birds are dead (only a third).

yrs,

Magnus Fiskesjö, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Cornell University
McGraw Hall, Room 201. Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
E-mail: magnus.fiske...@cornell.edu, or: n...@cornell.edu

Affiliations at Cornell University, WWW:
Anthropology Department, https://anthropology.cornell.edu/anthropology-faculty
Southeast Asia Program (SEAP), https://seap.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/faculty
East Asia Program (EAP), http://eap.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/core-faculty
CIAMS (Archaeology), https://archaeology.cornell.edu/faculty
Cornell Institute for Public Affairs (CIPA),
cipa.cornell.edu/academics/fieldfaculty.cfm
Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies (PACS),
http://pacs.einaudi.cornell.edu/people/steering-committee