Bill,

I'm with you.  I try to avoid number expansions to simplify things.  I set
up similar scenarios exactly as you have in your first solution.  I also
number my translation rules, patterns, and dial-peers in a manner that
allows me to call them all up using the section option on show commands.
 That way I can look at everything involved in the call with one command...