Sounds like it's a routing/acl issue then.  Can you ping to/from the
CUE/FTP server?  Are there any devices/ACL's in between that would block
this?  If the CUE is a few hops away and you have devices that are closer
to the FTP server you could start at the closest one and work your way out
and telnet to port 21 until it breaks down.  If the port is open, it will
answer.  If you're using IOS devices just make sure that 'transport output
telnet' is set under you con/vty line, then 'telnet <ip of ftp server> 21'
and see if it answers.  My first step would be standard ping in both
directions though.