***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***


Hi,

I have a stack of firewire disks - very cheap per GB but don't know how
reliable they are. However, I've never had one fail, and I don't know a
better (cheaper) way of having a couple of TB on one machine, and easily
movable to another machine... (e.g. a synchrotron)

Processing data straight from DVD hurts - the read time is dreadfully
slow. Firewire is almost as good as locally attached disk. The only
problem I find with firewire on Linux is that the only file system which
has decent performance is FAT32, which is not a great system but not too
bad for large images.

If anyone knows how to get decent performance (r/w) with a POSIX file
system I'm all ears!

Cheers,

Graeme

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Sergei Strelkov
Sent: 19 April 2006 12:35
To: [email protected]
Subject: [ccp4bb]: How do you store your datasets?


***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***


Dear All,

as a followup to my earlier posting, I would like to
ask opinions on the optimal ways to save and keep
the collected data.

Tape is slow and cumbersome. Other options would be
(1) dedictated hard disks / RAID, and
(2) DVDs (which will probably be replaced by
BluRays or like within the next year or two).

Best wishes,
Sergei.

-- 
*NEW* address and e-mail:
Prof. Sergei V. Strelkov, Protein Crystallography Group Coordinator
Laboratory for Analytical Chemistry and Medicinal Physicochemistry
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, O&N2 Catholic University of
Leuven Herestraat 49 bus 822, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium
Phone(w): +32 16 33 08 45   Fax:    +32 16 32 34 69
Phone(p): +32 16 23 19 06   Mobile: +32 486 29 41 32
E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]




-- 
*NEW* address and e-mail:
Prof. Sergei V. Strelkov, Protein Crystallography Group Coordinator
Laboratory for Analytical Chemistry and Medicinal Physicochemistry
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, O&N2 Catholic University of
Leuven Herestraat 49 bus 822, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium
Phone(w): +32 16 33 08 45   Fax:    +32 16 32 34 69
Phone(p): +32 16 23 19 06   Mobile: +32 486 29 41 32
E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm


Reply via email to