On Wednesday 30 May 2007 16:24, Jacob Keller wrote:
> I have been wondering recently whether the anomalous component of a
> diffraction pattern is of a
> different wavelength from the regular diffraction pattern.

The diffraction pattern satisfies Bragg's Law.
If the input radiation is monochromatic, then the diffraction
pattern shows a spot wherever that wavelength satisfies Bragg's
Law for some set of planes in the crystal.

In the presence of anomalous scattering, some of the incident
radiation is absorbed rather than diffracted.  The absorbed
photon may then be re-emitted via X-ray fluorescence, as you
mention. That emitted photon goes off in some random direction
and does not contribute to the main Bragg diffraction pattern.
In principle it could produce a diffraction pattern of its own
as it travels through the rest of the crystal, but the
diffraction pattern from a single photon will not be measurable
in practice.

Now you can, of course, have polychromatic input radiation.
This is the basis of Laue diffraction experiments.  In this
case the diffraction pattern contains information from the
Bragg scattering of photons with various energies.  Because
the scattering power changes as a function of energy, particularly
near an absorption edge, this means that there is information
about the anomalous scattering properties of your crystal in the
recorded diffraction pattern.

--
Ethan A Merritt            Courier Deliveries: 1959 NE Pacific
Dept of Biochemistry