Especially, the crystallographers are interested
in everything concerning resonance scattering, which is
indeed a valid terminus technicus in natural sciences.
The question of Jacob is very interesting. We have to
distinguish between absorption cross section and
scattering cross section and relate them, say, by
Kramers Kronig.
As I see it: The total scattering cross section of
an electron depends on the eigenfrequency and the
constant of friction of the electron bound to the
nucleus. Near resonance the total scattering cross
section increases dramatically and the proability
to scatter an X-ray is much larger than remote from
the edge. However, this scattering process is elastic:
it means that the wavelength is NOT altered. However,
a phase shift of the scattered photon occurs which is
different from the 180 deg usually expected for Thompson
scattering. We have to correct for this (Hönl-correction)
and this gives us also the opportunity to determine phase.

If really absorption occurs, of course we have fluorescence
which has lost all the phase relation relative to the
incident photon and is indeed not scattered in reflections
anymore, EXCEPT when there are collective processes as
for example observed in "nuclear resonance scattering"
of Mössbauer radiation.

Marius

> Dear Crystallographers,
>
> I have been wondering recently whether the anomalous component of a
> diffraction pattern is of a
> different wavelength from the regular diffraction pattern. It seems
> reasonable as resonant
> scattering seems to be akin to fluorescence, although as I understand
> it, is not exactly the same.
> Does anybody know here for sure, or at least where to look or whom to
> ask?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jacob Keller
>
> ***********************************