Wouldn't the desirability of this depend on the extent to which the molecule has moved between the high-resolution and low-resolution datasets ? I would have thought that there was an effective information transfer between R-work and R-free once the rigid body movements became too large, which might provide one with an over-optimistic idea of what the R-free would be with the high-resolution model with the low-resolution data.

Phil
Princeton NJ

Edward A Berry wrote:

Even if the free-R set is not preserved for the new crystal,
R and R-free tend to diverge rapidly once any kind of
fitting with a low data/param is performed, so I think
the new structure must not have been refined much beyond
rigid body (and over-all B which is included in any kind
of refinement).  And that choice may be well justified.
Ed

cdekker wrote:
Hi,

Your reply to the ccp4bb has confused me a bit. I am currently refining a low res structure and realise that I don't know what to expect for final R and Rfree - it is definitely not what most people would publish. So the absolute values of R and Rfree are not telling me much, the only gauge I have is that as long as both R and Rfree are decreasing I am improving the model (and yes, at the moment that is only rigid body refinement). In your email reply you suggest that even though a refinement to convergence that will lead to an increased Rfree (and lower R? - a classic case of overfitting!) would be a better model than the rigid-body-refined only model. This is what confuses me. I can see your reasoning that starting with an atomic model to solve low-res data can lead to this behaviour, but then should the solution not be a modification of the starting model (maybe high B-factors?) to compensate for the difference in resolution of model and data?

Carien