On Tuesday 05 June 2007 12:19, Edward A Berry wrote:
> You have a good point there and I would be interested in hearing
> some other opinions, so I take the liberty of reposting-
>
> My instinctive preference is that each structure should be
> supported solely by the data that is deposited with it -
> (one dataset one structure) but in terms of good science
> we want to produce the best model we can, and that might be
> the rigid-body-located structure from another dataset.

I don't think that is quite the right way to look at it.
In general we refine our model so that it both
 - agrees with the data
 - agrees with a priori knowledge

In maximum likelihood terms: we want to find the model that is
the most likely explanation for our observed data.
An inherently unlikely model is also an inherently unlikely
explanation. Therefore we focus on likely models.

We impose geometric restraints because we believe that we have
a better a priori expectation for bond lengths and angles than
can be determined de novo from the data in this one experiment.

Similarly we impose the known sequence of our protein on the
model, even if the maps are not sufficiently good to identify
each amino acid directly from the electron density.

If we have an a priori expectation for the conformation of
the whole protein, or large pieces of it, then we should
account for this in the model, even if the data is not
sufficiently good to reproduce this expectation de novo.

Therefore if you have a high-resolution structure available,
the best treatment of low-resolution data may well be to
place the known structure as a rigid body.  If you suspect
hinge motions or other large scale inter-domain shifts, you
might want to refine the hinge angle explicitly, but unfortunately
our usual refinement programs are not really set up for this.

These are important issues, and are close to the heart
of the Maximum Likelihood approach to model refinement.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt