Hi Neeraj,
There are several ways to approach this problem. Of course, this also
depends on your sample and the amount you have available.

1. Probably the first thing to try is seeding (streak or micro).
2. You could try with higher protein and/or precipitant concentration.
3. If you have enough material you could try out what happens at
different crystallization temperatures but this is difficult to predict.
4. Additives can make a difference and you could screen using one of the
commercially available kits.
5. A more laborious approach would be to change the construct/sample
(e.g. removing floppy parts, using binding partners/ligands, optimizing
binding partners).

Good luck,
christian

Neeraj wrote:
> hi all,
>        I am working on a protein for which we get nicely diffracting
> crystals but the problem is that the crystals grow from anywhere between
> 4-6 months. Does anyone has any general suggestions as to what things
> can be changed or tried to speed up the process. Any help or suggestions
> would be welcome as i am crawling towards getting enough crystals to
> make a synchroton visit:):)
>
> thanks
> Neeraj

Dr. Christian Biertümpfel
Laboratory of Molecular Biology

NIDDK/National Institutes of Health              phone: +1 301 402 4647
9000 Rockville Pike, Bldg. 5, Rm. B1-03          fax:   +1 301 496 0201
Bethesda, MD 20892-0580
USA