        Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im Auftrag von
Green, Todd
        Gesendet: Montag, 27. August 2007 19:49
        An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] Strange diffraction images

        I have a case that is similar to this, or at least visually similar by
diffraction pattern(ie. strong/weak intensities). I think my situation is due
to a pseudo-translation. I say this my defining of pseudo translation as
basically something other than pure translation(ie. some translation and some
degree (albeit slight) of rotation). In my case, the crystals (I THINK!) are
P23(and i guess you would say pseudo I23). There are assemblies at 0,0,0  and
0.5,0.5,0.5. The "translated" assembly at 0.5,0.5,0.5 is slightly misaligned(by
a small rotation) with the assembly at the origin but near to perfect. If it
were perfect it'd be I23. But since it is not, it is reduced to the Primitive
cell. When indexing, if you don't include the more diffuse, lower intensity
spots, you will lock on the I-cell. If you include them then you get right
cell, as you would suspect. I included pictures. These are 2 regions of a
single diffraction pattern with spot predictions for the indicated  Bravais
lattice. You can easily see the sharper more dense spots versus the more
diffuse less intense ones. In the second shot, you can see that the
orthorhombic cell fits much better than either of the cubic cells but that's
another issue which is related to my questions last week. So to muddy the water
a little, my case could be pseudo-cubic altogether. I'm still working on all of
that. As a side note, Xtriage doesn't think things are twinned as was suggested
for one some of the other diffraction patterns discussed earlier today.

        -Todd