From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Jacob Keller
Sent: Mon 8/27/2007 10:44 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Strange diffraction images

What a beautiful and interesting diffraction pattern!

To me, it seems that there is a blurred set of spots with different cell dimensions, although nearly the same, underlying the ordered diffraction pattern. A possible interpretation occurred to me, that the ordered part of the crystal is supported by a less-ordered lattice of slightly different dimensions, which, because the crystal is a like a layer-cake of 2-d crystals, need not be commensurable in the short range with the ordered lattice. The nicely-ordered "cake" part of the crystal you solved, but the "frosting" between is of a different, less ordered nature, giving rise to the diffuse pattern which has slightly different lattice spacing. I would have to see more images to know whether this apparent lattice-spacing phenomenon is consistent, but it at least seems that way to me from the images you put on the web. I would shudder to think of indexing it,
however.

All the best,

Jacob Keller

ps I wonder whether a crystal was ever solved which had two interpenetrating, non-commensurable
lattices in it. That would be pretty fantastic.

==============Original message text===============