Michael's comments are correct and follow indeed appropriate chemistry theory. In practice however, as said earlier, it is less likely to read a correct pH value with a pH-meter (unless extensive care and adjustments are taken beforehand) than to predict amounts of acid and base to use reliably based on the HH equation.

I take this opportunity to correct my mistyping in my previous mail: "In the second case, the HH is written 4.5 = 4.76 + log([NaOH])/(25 - [NaOH])" should be rewritten into "In the second case, the HH is written 4.5 = 4.76 + log([NaOH]/(25 - [NaOH]))".

Greetings,

Nadir

--

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
   Cellular & Molecular Biochemistry

R.M. Garavito wrote:

Buffer making is very much an empirical process, but there is a comment that needs to be made about the use of the H-H equation and pKa values. I have to teach our department's biochemistry laboratory, and I sadly would have to take off points from all the discussions as the H-H equation and pKa won't give the right answer as pKa is for an ideal (i.e., infinitely dilute) solution. A 25 mM Na acetate solution is not dilute. You need to use the pKa' which sadly changes as the concentration of the buffer increases or decreases: while the pKa of acetic acid is 4.76 (@25˚C), at 100mM, the pKa' is 4.60. The National Bureau of Standards (now NIST) has a detailed list of standard buffer recipes and pKa' values for most of the common buffers (e.g., see Bates, J. Natl. Bur. Stand. 66A, 179, 1962).

That said, Nadir's method is a fine way to make a buffer of a known pH (using a well calibrated pH meter) at a known temperature, and it will allow you to make a buffer with the same pH value almost every time (depending on how your room temperature changes throughout the year). Being able to consistently and reliably repeat the buffer formulation is the most important point.

Cheers,

Michael

/R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D./

/Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology/

/513 Biochemistry Bldg. /

/Michigan State University /

/East Lansing, MI 48824-1319/

/Office:// //(517) 355-9724 Lab: (517) 353-9125/

/FAX: (517) 353-9334 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/