From: Charles W. Carter Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] question about getting rid of model bias in refinement
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Date: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 3:15 PM

Sun,

I'm most of the way to one side of this debate:  I believe that it is not
possible to emerge fully from model bias without avoiding it in the first place
with experimental phases. I may be overly pessimistic, but have considerable
experience supporting at least skepticism.

My interpretation of the experimental result you describe is that the
covariances among the parts of the structure you left in place and those side
chains you omitted is so strong and extensive that you'll never see the correct
density coming back upon refinement, because other parts of the structure are
ever so slightly off their true mean positions to compensate for the (evidently
false) positions of the residues you omitted. Bill's suggestion that you
actually refine the structure using simulated annealing without the omitted
residues is an improvement over what you did, but it will require many cycles
to get a much better approximation, and there is really no way to be sure when
you can be confident. Starting the entire refinement over is a more aggressive
strategy. If you decide to try this, you should examine the projection of the
residue by residue real-space correlation coefficients across the entire
sequence to ensure that you have only one
 population of values and delete all residues that comprise any population that
has a distinctly different real-space correlation coefficient, building them
back into the structure as it refines. That is, you should ensure that you
don't begin refining any residues at the very beginning for which there is
evidence that they might be different from their positions in your molecular
replacement model.

Charlie