Dear Dale,

> 1)  There is a need for additional validation of structure factor
>     depositions.
>
>    My recollection is that the output of SF Check is available to
> the depositor via ADIT on the RCSB site.  I have found that report
> to be quite helpful in checking for gross errors in my structure
> factor files.
>
>    The Electron Density Server performs similar checks.  It shows
> that the R value for 3ftt is 6.4% with a correlation coefficient
> between Fo and Fc of 0.996.
>
>    The EDS flags entries as "interesting" if the calculated R value
> is more than 5% higher than the reported R value.  Maybe it should
> also note when the R value is more than 5% lower.
>
>    The tools for validating structure factors exist but perhaps could
> be put more "in the face" of the depositor to more strongly encourage
> that they be looked at.
Thank you for stressing this again. I had a look at the PDB_REDO results
for 3ftt. It uses a procedure similar to that of the EDS, so I wanted to
make sure 3ftt was rejected because R(-free) could not be reproduced.
However, 3ftt was not in PDB_REDO for a different reason: the R-free set
had no information content. That is, all reflection have the same status
flag.
There are frequent discussions in the CCP4BB about the (un)importance of
keeping the R-free set. It would certainly be nice if the PDB would also
warn about R-free set problems to the depositor.
Funny thing for the status flags of 3ftt: all reflections are marked 'x'
(i.e. unmeasured). We should have known that there was something wrong
with them.

Cheers,
Robbie Joosten