Rui--

We have crystallized several proteins that required 0.5 M NaCl in the
protein buffer....getting our initial hits from commercially available
screens.   You might leave the salt concentration as it is for your
initial crystallization screens and see what you get.

Sometimes proteins are stabilized when you add small molecular weight PEGs
to the protein buffer---e.g. 1-5%.  In some instances, these are a good
substitute for the higher concentration of salt required in the protein
buffer, ie you can lower your salt concentration by the addition of the
lower mol wt PEGS.

HTH!
annie

Annie  Hassell
Glaxo Smithkline
5 Moore Drive
RTP, NC  27709
919/483-3228
919/483-0368 (FAX)
annie.m.hass...@gsk.com

"rui" <ruis...@gmail.com>
Sent by: "CCP4 bulletin board" <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
29-Jun-2009 22:32
Please respond to "rui" <ruis...@gmail.com>

CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
cc

Subject
[ccp4bb] can I try crystallization in high salt?

Dear All,

I have a peri domain protein that is stable in high salt concentration(500
mM), if I dialysis to a lower salt buffer and then concentrate, it'll
preticipate out. If I need to crystallize it, can I use the high salt
buffer? Is there any optimization kits that could help to increase the
solubility? Thanks.