On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:07:36 -0400 "Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS]"
<cschu...@its.jnj.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think the problem is that cctbx
> comes with its own python, which you would need to run both pymol and
> numpy under. According to Ralf it is at least not trivial to utilize the
> system python to run cctbx. So I think you need to compile/install pymol
> against cctbx.python and install it as a module under cctbx.python.
> Similar deal for numpy, which may already be available in cctbx, if not
> installation should be straightforward.
>
> These broad steps may work (again shooting from the hip...)
> -Install cctbx
> -link cctbx.python to python and make sure its first in your path (may
> be optional)
> -install numpy under cctbx.python (if not already present)
> -compile and install open.pymol against the cctbx.python, either via the
> renaming trick
>  above or calling cctbx.python setup.py (build/install)
>
> Good luck, let us know how it works...

I have no trouble running cctbx with pymol using the system python for both.
I also use Debian testing and various Ubuntu versions.  To do so I
install cctbx from the sources. I have a web page with instructions for using
pymol and cctbx together at:

http://pldserver1.biochem.queensu.ca/~rlc/work/pymol/cctbx/

In short, I install cctbx using the self-extracting *source* not a
precompiled version.  Go to http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/ and scroll down to
"Self-extracting cctbx sources for Unix".

Once that installation is done, I go to where the cctbx.python script is (in
the <install>/cctbx_build/bin directory). I then make a link to that called
python:  (i.e. ln -s cctbx.python python).

Then to make sure that pymol "sees" the cctbx modules, I make sure
that the command in the startup script for pymol has just "python", not
"/usr/bin/python" in it so then it ends up running cctbx.python.  (The setup
scripts for cctbx will place its directory and the *beginning* of the PATH
environment variable).

I hope this helps,
Rob
--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor