Hello Intekhab,

Your results do not seem surprising at all. It is not uncommon for molecular
interactions such as dimerization to be more stable at lower temperatures, and
this is exactly why you are seeing the shift to higher elution volumes at lower
tempratures. At lower temperatures, both the monomer and dimer are likely to be
more compact in solution due to less thermal fluctuations in the overall
structures. Remember that protein structures are always in motion, and lowering
the temperature restricts these motions, and therefor lowers the effective
radius of the molecule in solution as it moves through the column. And of
course smaller molecules elute at higher volumes, so this probably explains
what you see in the cold room.

As for some of the other concerns you have with your gel filtration
experiments, I can offer the following suggestions. First, remember that gel
filtration elution volumes are independent of conditions like flow rate and
protein concentration (unless there are nonspecific interactions at high
concentration), but like I described before temp is a factor. That being said,
often analytical gel filtration experiments are more informative at moderate
concentrations instead of high concentrations, because this will favor the
formation of relevant oligomers, instead of oligomers and aggregates that form
only at high concentrations and aren't really "biological." When you do your
incubation experiments, try using lower protein concentrations or shorter
incubation times. This might prevent the formation of precipitates and will
give you more biologically relevant information - after all, most proteins are
not available in the cell at very high concentrations, so if your dimer is
biological, the kd is likely pretty low. Also you could try another experiment
like a pulldown with tagged/untagged constructs, or SPR. These experiments (SPR
particularly) would also tell you if the kd is reasonable for a biologically
relevant interaction. One more thought is to be sure your protein is not
degrading at high temperatures, which may be the reason your 37 degree
incubation results in increased elution volume. Mass spec could help you here.

Finally, to determine the biological relevance of your dimer you should do an
analysis of the "dimer" interface seen in the crystal structure. I believe that
for the "average" biological oligomer, the oligomerization interface buries
approx 1200-2000A2 of surface area, whereas the average crystal contact buries
approx 400-800A2. Some older work related to these analyses has been published
by Joel Janin and Janet Thornton. Also, some webservers like PISA attempt to
predict the relevant oligomerization states of proteins in the PDB based on
interfaces seen in the crystal structures. You might look there for a good
method.

Good Luck,

Mike Thompson