Dear Klaus
                 depends how many missing residue you want advertised in the
header of your deposited file. The pdb will put in a special Remark 610 and
Remark 615 to indicate any missing residues from your heterogen list. However
the policy is not to list every missing (or zero occupancy) atom.
  I have fitted fragments of pegs into density - so I know there are defined
hetero residues for several sizes of small fragments. But if you name a PEG as
a larger fragment than you can see then, as each PEG would be only one residue,
effectively you get only one line in a remark 610 for each PEG with missing
bits.
  Zero occupancy is generally a deprecated way of dealing with missing density
as it is confusing for less experienced user of the coordinates. I think zero
occupancy can be useful during refinement as the atoms help fill space (or for
example satisfy NCS restraint format requirement) but then these atoms can be
stripped out before deposition. They should in any case never be included in
B-factor refinement as they will skew the statistics and possibly the B-factor
restraint model.
  It seems that large numbers of missing heterogen atoms were anticipated when
the format was drawn up - hence the absence of a requirement to list all
heterogen atoms that are missing.
  Hope that helps.
    Martyn

EBI, Cambridge