The journal was Molecular Physics (1987) Vol 62(2), 451-459.

(my brain librates when I type)

Daniel Anderson wrote:
Maybe you should look at: "Rotation barriers in crystals from atomic displacement parameters" Emily Maverick and Jack Dunitz (1987) Vol 62(2), 451-459.

They reported that the libration amplitude of one part of a crystalline small molecule relative to another part is strongly correlated to bond rotation barriers measured by other means. The discussion at the top of page 458 seems to be about off rates. It's not up to me if a multi-temperature diffraction experiment and a lot of TLS analyses will be worth the effort relative to purchasing equipment to measure a binding parameter.

-Dan

James Holton wrote:
I don't think there is any relationship between rate constants and B factors. Yes, there is the hand-wavy argument of "disorder begets disorder" (and people almost always LITERALLY wave their hands when they propose this), but you have to be much more careful than that when it comes to thermodynamics. Yes, "disorder" and entropy are related, but just because a ligand is "disordered" does not mean that the delta-S term of the binding delta-G is higher.

Now, there is a relationship between equilibrium constants and occupancies, since the occupancy is really just the ratio of the concentration of "protein-bound-to-ligand" to the total protein concentration, and an equilibrium exists between these two species. NB all the usual caveats of how crystal packing could change binding constants, etc. You could logically extend this to B factors by invoking a property of refinement: Specifically, if the "true" occupancy is less than 1, but modeled as "1.00", your refinement program will give you a B factor that is larger than the "true" atomic B factor. However, if you try to make this claim, then the obvious cantankerous reviewer suggestion would be to refine the occupancy. Problem is, refining both occupancy and B at the same time is usually unstable at moderate resolution. In general, it is hard to distinguish between something that is flopping around (high B factor) and something that is simply "not there" part of the time (low occupancy).

I know it is tempting to try and relate B factors directly to entropy, but the "disorder" that leads to large B factors has a lot more to do with crystals than it has to do with proteins. For example, there are plenty of tightly-bound complexes that don't diffract well at all. If you refine these structures, you will get big B factors (roughly, B = 4*d^2+12 where d is the resolution in Angstrom). You may even have several crystal forms of the same thing with different Wilson B factors, but that is in no way evidence that the proteins in the two crystal forms somehow have different binding constants or rate constants.

On the bright side, in your case it sounds like you have an entire protomer that is "disorered" relative to the rest of the crystal lattice. We have seen a few cases now like this where dehydrating the crystal (with an FMS or similar procedure) causes the unit cell to shrink and this "locks" the wobbly molecule into place. I think this is the principle mechanism of "improved diffraction from dehydration". No, it does not work very often! But sometimes it does.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist