>there are even more harsh referees comments on gel appearance and quality
than comments on cutting data based on R,RF and sigmaI :-)  Especially when
one is trying to penetrate into prestigious journals...

Ok I repent. For improving gels there is the same excellent program, also
useful for density modification - Photoshop ;-)

Best, BR

Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology Department of Molecular
Microbiology and Biotechnology Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor

e-mail: mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il
Tel:  ++972-3640-8723
Fax: ++972-3640-9407
Cellular: 0547 459 608

On Mar 3, 2011, at 18:38 , Bernhard Rupp (Hofkristallrat a.D.) wrote:

>> related to what I feel is recent revival of the significance of the
>> R-values
>
> ....because it's so handy to have one single number to judge a highly
complex nonlinear multivariate barely determined regularized problem! Just
as easy as running a gel!

> Best BR

significance of the R-values in general.  Lower resolution cutoffs in this
context improve the R-values, which is (incorrectly) perceived as model
improvement.