Yes, I would classify anything with I/sigmaI < 3 as "weak". And yes, of course it is possible to get "weak" spots from small molecule crystals. After all, there is no spot so "strong" that it cannot be defeated by a sufficient amount of background! I just meant that, relatively speaking, the intensities diffracted from a small molecule crystal are orders of magnitude brighter than those from a macromolecular crystal of the same size, and even the same quality (the 1/Vcell^2 term in Darwin's formula).

I find it interesting that you point out the use of a 2 sigma(I) intensity cutoff for small molecule data sets! Is this still common practice? I am not a card-carrying "small molecule crystallographer", so I'm not sure. However, if that is the case, then by definition there are no "weak" intensities in the data set. And this is exactly the kind of data you want for least-squares refinement targets and computing "% error" quality metrics like R factors. For likelihood targets, however, the "weak" data are actually a powerful restraint.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist