strategies suggested here. It may also be worthwhile to shoot a few roomtemp
crystals to see if your cryo is at fault for your high mosaicity.

Bert

On 4/5/11 9:10 AM, "dengzq1987" <dengzq1...@gmail.com> wrote:

hello Jürgen_Bosch,

because i have collected the data,but can't index.in some direction,the spot is
separated .but the others are set close together(picture spot1 and spot 2).so
we think there  is one  long unit cell axes.

2011-04-05
________________________________
dengzq1987
________________________________
发件人: Jürgen_Bosch
发送时间: 2011-04-05  20:29:18
收件人: dengzq1987
抄送: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
主题: Re: [ccp4bb] how to Collecting Data from Long Unit Cell Axes ?

What do you consider long ? 200, 300 ? 600 A ? Before shooting try to run
strategy or xplan. Move the detector back to first reliably be able to
determine your cell. Then double your estimated mosaicity and see what strategy
suggests. If you don't get many overlaps (<5%) then try a closer distance.
Don't rotate 1degrees but take 1/2 of the mosaicity. Obviously you want to make
good use of the detector area so adjust the edges to where your crystal really
diffracts. And if that resolution leads to too many overlaps then limit your
resolution and get first a good datasets home. You then can play with 2theta
for a higher resolution dataset.
Another obvious thing to do and you don't mention what reduction program you
use is to let XDS sort your problem out. Unless you collected to high
resolution without being cautious XDS could help. If not, well then you had
your experience and now should know better.
SSRL has options to collect 450 A cells to 3A without much hassle. That was my
largest cell so far.
Jürgen

Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Lab:      +1-410-614-4894