Hampton Research actually sells bent loops. At least used to.
Raji

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Jacob Keller <j-kell...@fsm.northwestern.edu
> wrote:

> For plate crystals with the long axis normal to the plate surface
> (anecdotally, this is usually the case), you can use bent loops. Bent
> loops can be made using tweezers by folding over the loop onto the
> stem and crimping with the tweezers. When the loop relaxes a bit, it
> will leave a ~90deg-bent loop, so the crystal can sit on the loop and
> be shot edge-on in the beam. It takes a bit of time to get it right,
> but it worked well for me one time.
>
> JPK
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Jürgen Bosch <jubo...@jhsph.edu> wrote:
> > What do you consider long ? 200, 300 ? 600 A ? Before shooting try to run
> > strategy or xplan. Move the detector back to first reliably be able to
> > determine your cell. Then double your estimated mosaicity and see what
> > strategy suggests. If you don't get many overlaps (<5%) then try a closer
> > distance. Don't rotate 1degrees but take 1/2 of the mosaicity. Obviously
> you
> > want to make good use of the detector area so adjust the edges to where
> your
> > crystal really diffracts. And if that resolution leads to too many
> overlaps
> > then limit your resolution and get first a good datasets home. You then
> can
> > play with 2theta for a higher resolution dataset.
> > Another obvious thing to do and you don't mention what reduction program
> you
> > use is to let XDS sort your problem out. Unless you collected to high
> > resolution without being cautious XDS could help. If not, well then you
> had
> > your experience and now should know better.
> > SSRL has options to collect 450 A cells to 3A without much hassle. That
> was
> > my largest cell so far.
> > Jürgen

> > Jürgen Bosch
> > Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
> > Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
> > Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
> > 615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
> > Baltimore, MD 21205
> > Phone: +1-410-614-4742
> > Lab:      +1-410-614-4894
> > Fax:      +1-410-955-3655
> > http://web.mac.com/bosch_lab/
> > On Apr 5, 2011, at 1:05, dengzq1987 <dengzq1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > hello all,
> > does anyone have the experience of
> Collecting Data from Long Unit Cell Axes
> > ? I have a crystal that diffracts to about 4 A. in some direction  the
> spots
> > overlap. we can't use the data to index .we think it is because that
> there
> > is a long unit cell axes. so  is there any method to solve this problem?
> >
> > best wishes.
> >
> > 2011-04-05
> > dengzq1987
>

> --
> [...]

Raji Edayathumangalam
Research Fellow in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women's
Hospital
Visiting Research Scholar, Brandeis University