It seems hard to imagine what there is anything in his solutions other
than protein that would make spherulites, no? PEG 8000 at 12% seems
pretty benign, unless the trays or screens have been sitting around
for quite a while...

JPK

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Colin Nave <colin.n...@diamond.ac.uk> wrote:

> Stefan
>
> Could the low angle reflections be from lamellar liquid crystals of the PEG
> (or a mixed PEG/water phase). Seems like you have 1st,2nd and 4th order
> reflections with presumably the 2nd order about 20A.
>
> I think 40A lamellar spacing is characteristic of some PEG liquid crystals.
>
> Colin

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program