Dear Dirk,
You are getting confused about where the sampling occurs, and this is
perhaps because we usually learn about the Shannon criterion from a
certain way around (sampling in real/time space -> periodicity of the
signal transform in frequency/reciprocal space). To see the Shannon
criterion in crystallography, you have to look at it the other way around
(sampling of the molecular transform in reciprocal space -> periodicity of
the electron density in space). "Twice the signal bandwidth" becomes the
physical width of the unique portion of your 1D electron density, which is
equal to the unit cell repeat by definition. Hence, you are sampling the
fourier transform at double the Shannon frequency.

Sampling of the electron density makes the sampled molecular transform
periodic in reciprocal space, with interval 1/q, where q is your
real-space sampling interval. If d is the minimum Bragg spacing, then your
molecular transform lies between +/- 1/d in reciprocal space, i.e. has a
full-width of 2/d. Thus, in order for the "ghost" copies of the molecular
transform to not overlap, you must have q such that

1/q >= 2/d.

i.e.

q <= d/2.

Hope that helps,