I know this question has been answered and Dirk has waved off further
discussion but...  I have an answer from a different than usual perspective
that I've been dieing to try out on someone.

   Assume you have a one dimensional crystal with a 10 Angstrom repeat.
Someone has told you the value of the electron density at 10 equally
spaced points in this little unit cell, but you know nothing about the
value of the function between those points.  I could spend all night
with a crayon drawing different functions that exactly hit all 10 points -
They are infinite in number and each one has a different set of Fourier
coefficients.  How can I control this chaos and come up with a simple
description, particularly of the reciprocal space view of these 10
points?

   The Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem simply means that if we assume
that all Fourier coefficient of wave length shorter than 2 Angstrom/cycle
(twice our sampling rate) are defined equal to zero we get only one
function that will hit all ten points exactly.  If we say that the 2 A/cycle
reflection has to be zero as well, there are no functions that hit all ten
points (except for special cases) but if we allow the next reflection (the
h=6 or 1.67 A/cycle wave) to be non-zero we are back to an infinite number
of solutions.

   That's all it is - If you assume that all the Fourier coefficients of
higher resolution than twice your sampling rate are zero you are guaranteed
one, and only one, set of Fourier coefficients that hit the points and the
Discrete Fourier Transform (probably via a FFT) will calculate that set for
you.

   As usual, if your assumption is wrong you will not get the right answer.
If you have a function that really has a non-zero 1.67 A/cycle Fourier
coefficient but you sample your function at 10 points and calculate a
FFT you will get a set of coefficients that hit the 10 points exactly
(when back transformed) but they will not be equal to "true" values.

   The overlapping spheres that Gerard Bricogne described are simply the
way of calculating the manor in which the coefficients are distorted by
this bad assumption.  Ten Eyck, L. F. (1977). Acta Cryst. A33, 486-492
has an excellent description.

   If you are certain that your function has no Fourier components higher
than your sampling rate can support then the FFT is your friend.  If your
function has high resolution components and you don't sample it finely
enough then the FFT will give you an answer, but it won't be the correct
answer.  The answer will exactly fit the points you sampled but it will
not correctly predict the function's behavior between the points.

   The principal situations where this is a problem are:

Calculating structure factors (Fcalc) from a model electron density map.
Calculating gradients using the Agarwal method.
Phase extension via ncs map averaging (including cross-crystal averaging).
Phase extension via solvent flattening (depending on how you do it).

Thank you for your time,
Dale Tronrud