I think you are just confused. The solvent flattening is just a step to make
your map clearer. You do not carry the modified phases from solvent flattening
to refinement (and I sincerely hope you don't refine against the solvent
flattened amplitudes but against the original data!)

Herman's observation is right, i think. One of the reasons that high solvent
content will give better Rfree is also that this wY you have more reflections
than usual per atom: considering two asymmetric units with the same volume,
they have the same number of reflections at a given resolution, but if one has
higher solvent it has less atoms so you refine better.

A.

Sent from my iPhone