Hi Alex,

I read Filip's comment about volume not as a path length argument, but about concentration uncertainty in mixing small volumes to dilute a sample down before measuring it (?). I have never had to make a dilution for my nanodrop (my proteins are usually not that concentrated), but I could see his point if I did have to.

As for the variance between samples, I don't know about >25%, but I have observed multiple readings to have variance. I always take 3 readings on my nanodrop and then average them to deal with the variance I see. I don't mind doing this because the instrument is so fast, and I don't mind the cost at 6 ul of sample total.

The most variance I have seen is usually in spin columns, where I will be doing a buffer exchange from a storage buffer (sometimes at ca. 20% glycerol) into an assay or xstal buffer, and I have wondered to myself if the variance I see could be due to incomplete mixing of a protein sample betwen a viscous buffer at the bottom with the rest of the buffer. I don't know how often other people find themselves in a situation where they may be sampling their 2 ul from a "micro-environment" that is not homogenous with the rest of the sample, but with small volumes I think that be a problem. Food for thought.

Filip, I would buy a nanodrop. It is much better than a Bradford/cuvette and your students will love you for it. Cheers~

~Justin

Quoting aaleshin <aales...@burnham.org>:

Filip,
25% accuracy is observed only for very diluted (OD280< 0.1) or concentrated samples. But those sample a rarely used for ITC or CD. The concentrated samples require dilution but a regular spec does it too. Since the light passway is very short in Nanodrop it is accurate with more concentrated samples, which we crystallographers use, so Nanodrop is ideal instrument for our trade.

If the drop is within recommended volume like 1-2 ul for our model, its size has a very small influence on the measurement.

Cuvettes will give a better accuracy provided you clean them properly.
I hated those times when I had to measure a concentration because of a need to wash a cuvette. In a biological lab they are always dirty. We switched to plastic disposable cuvettes for that reason...

Alex