Hi James,

Not as many responses on lysozyme crystallization as I would have expected. Or
may be people thought you were joking (were you?).
Anyhow, higher concentrations of lyso gives smaller crystals but if you let
them grow on their own, you may get few huge ones instead. What worked for me
was following streak-seeding:
An acupuncture needle of 5- to 10-μm diameter was loaded with microcrystals by
plunging it into a large crystal. Excess seeds were washed off by passing the
needle through the well solution. Then, the crystallization drops were seeded
by streaking the needle through the drops. Twelve drops were seeded
successively with a single needle-load to achieve gradual dilution of seeds,
resulting in a varying number and size of crystals.
Happy seeding!
N.

Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.

GM/CA-CAT