Hi Ed,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Ed Pozharski <epozh...@umaryland.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 10:47 -0700, Pavel Afonine wrote:
> > better, but not always. What about say 80% or so complete dataset?
> > Filling in 20% of Fcalc (or DFcalc or bin-averaged <Fobs> or else - it
> > doesn't matter, since the phase will dominate anyway) will highly bias
> > the map towards the model.
>
> DFc, if properly calculated, is the maximum likelihood estimate of the
> observed amplitude.  I'd say that 0 is by far the worst possible
> estimate, as Fobs are really never exactly zero.  Not sure what the
> situation would be when it's better to use Fo=0, perhaps if the model is
> grossly incorrect?  But in that case the completeness may be the least
> of my worries.

Yes, that's all true about what is DFc. In terms of missing-Fobs-filling
it's not too important (as map appearance concerned) which values you take,
DFc, <Fobs> , etc. I spent a few days playing with this some years ago.

> Indeed, phases drive most of the model bias, not amplitudes.  If model
> is good and phases are good then the DFc will be a much better estimate
> than zero.  If model is bad and phases are bad then filling in missing
> reflections will not increase bias too much.  But replacing them with
> zeros will introduce extra noise.  In particular, the ice rings may mess
> things up and cause ripples.

Yep, that was the point - sometimes it is good to do, and sometimes it is
not, and ...

> On a practical side, one can always compare the maps with and without
> missing reflections.

... this is why phenix.refine outputs both maps -:)

All the best,
Pavel