P4(1) and P4(3) are enantiomorphic space groups. The only difference is the
helix (one way, or another). No difference in the diffraction pattern. Hence a
program (or a
crystallographer) cannot distinguish the 2 based on the diffraction pattern.

Once you start phasing, e.g. by molecular replacement, there is one solution
for one enantiomer and far worse statistics for the other enantiomer. This
solves it.

And I'd like to point out that it is always a good idea to keep in mind the
alternative space groups even if you think you are solving the structure but
haven't solved it
completely yet.

Fred.