Dear Gerard

Isolating your main points:

but there would have been no PDB-REDO because the
data for running it would simply not have been available! ;-) . Or do you
think the parallel does not apply?
have thought, some value. From the perspective of your message, then, why are the benefits of PDB-REDO so unique that PDB-REPROCESS would have no
chance of measuring up to them?

I was thinking of the inconsistency while sending my previous email ... ;-)

Basically, the parallel does apply. PDB-REPROCESS in a few years would
be really fantastic - speaking as a crystallographer and methods developer.

Speaking as a structural biologist though, I did think long and hard about the usefulness of PDB_REDO. I obviously decided its useful since I am now heavily involved in it for a few reasons, like uniformity of final model treatment, improving refinement software, better statistics on structure quality metrics,
and of course seeing if the new models will change our understanding of
the biology of the system.

An experiment that I would like to do as a structural biologist - is the following: What about adding an "increasing noise" model to the Fobs's of a few datasets and re-refining? How much would that noise change the final model quality metrics and in absolute terms?

(for the changes that PDB_RE(BUILD) does have a preview at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22034521
....I tried to avoid the shamelessly self-promoting plug-in, but could resists at the end!)

That experiment - or a better designed variant for it ? - would maybe tell us if we should be advocating the archive of all images, and being scientifically convinced of the importance of that beyond methods development, we would all argue a strong case
to the funding and hosting agencies.

Tassos

PS Of course, that does not negate the all-important argument, that when struggling with marginal data better processing software is essential. There is a clear need for better software to process images, especially for low resolution and low signal/noise cases. Since that is dependent on having test data I am all for supporting an initiative to collect such data,
and I would gladly spend a day digging our archives to contribute.