God bess the symmetry, we are saved from the over-interpreting symmetry
(except probably of very exotic cases) by the very high Rsym factors around 40%
50% if the symmetry is wrong.
Even wild rejection of outliers, cannot reform "acceptable" Rmerge.
In my personal repository, 1QZV  is a manifest of that. In 4.4 angstrom
resolution, wrong interpretation  of 90.2 angle monoclinic angle as 90 degrees
orthorhombic  supported by two molecules in the monoclinic asymmetric was
corrected in  the middle of the first data collection. Habitual on-fly
processing of the data (integration and repetitive scaling after every several
frames with HKL) detected that about half-through the data R factor in
orthorhombic space group jumped to 40% from about 7%.
Reindexing solved the problem on the spot. I still keep the raw data.
Needless to say that before about a decade  we would make precession
photographs (I still own precession camera) and would not
make such a mistake.
Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology
Department of Molecular Microbiology
and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor