Hi James,

scary ... I was just looking at exactly the same thing (P21 with
beta~90), using the same tool (POINTLESS).

Currently I'm going through the structures for which images can be
found ... I haven't gone far through that list yet (in fact actually
only the first one), but this first case should indeed be in a higher
spacegroup (P 2 21 21).

As you say (and that's what Graeme looks for): finding 'over-merged'
datasets can be a bit more tricky ... once the damage is done. I have
the hunch that it might happen even more often though: we tend to
look for the highest symmetry that still gives a good indexing score,
right?  Otherwise we would all go for P1 ...

Some other interesting groups for under-merging:

 * orthorhombic with a==b or a==c or b==c (maybe tetragonal?)

 * trigonal (P 3 etc) when it should be P 6

 * monoclinic with beta==120

A few cases for each of those too ... all easy to check in
ftp://ftp.wwpdb.org/pub/pdb/derived_data/index/crystal.idx and then
(if structure factors are deposited) running POINTLESS on it (great
program Phil!).

Cheers

Clemens

*