Hans,

Most natural toxins from snakes, scorpions etc are 50+/-some peptides. And
quite a few of those have been studied and crystallized (see pdb for a list).
Having worked on one of these structures as a graduate student, I can share my
experience:
- Purification is harder than you would think. You are talking about < 10kD,
usually around 5kD. Many methods (size exclusion, even concentration over a
simple membrane) don't work as easily as you would like.
- I did not have much of a problem crystallizing (i.e. no worse than other
proteins, maybe even a little easier)
- Crystals tend to diffract well (maybe better than average)
- Structures can be hard to solve; MIR is very difficult because ions tend to
not go into such crystals easily (because the molecules are small and tightly
packed?); MR is hard because (again) it does not work very well on very small
systems
- Crystallization is not necessarily purification - if you have a mixture of
peptides to start with, it may be harder to crystallize, or not: you might get
a crystal that is a (random-ish) mixture.
- If you have more than two cysteines in your sequence (natural toxins
typically do), the additional problem is to get the correct folding and
disulphide bridges; alternatively it is very hard to discriminate between
correctly and incorrectly linked disulphides

Finally:
These sequence should be small enough for NMR. That may or may not answer your
questions, but it avoids your original question.

Mark