From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of H.
Raaijmakers
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 4:17 a.m.
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] crystallization of synthetic peptides

Dear crystallographers,

Because of the low cost and speed of synthesizing 40- to 60-mer peptides, I
wonder whether anyone has (good or bad) experiences crystalizing such peptides.
In literature, I've found up to 34-mer synthetic coiled coils, but no other
protein class. I can imagine that a protein sample with a few percent "random
deletion mutants" mixed into it won't crystallize easily, but has anyone
actually tried?

cheers,

Hans