Dear colleagues,

We have solved the crystal structure of a human enzyme. The pKa of a
catalytically critical aspartic acid has increased to 6.44. It is hydrogen
bonded (2.8 Angstroms) to a water molecule that is supposed to donate a
proton during the catalysis. Can anybody help me a) interpret the
significance of this increase in pKa of the aspartic acid from 3.8 to 6.44
in context with the catalysis? Is this advantageous or detrimental? b) How
is pKa related to an amino acids’ ability to force a water molecule to
donate a proton? c) At pH 7.4, the aspartic acid would be de-protonated
irrespective of whether the pKa is 3.8 or 6.44; isn’t that true? d) Have
similar increase in pKa values observed for aspartic acids before? I would
be grateful if anybody could explain or comment on the above queries.

Deepak Oswal