Hi Ed,

A few years back there has been a thread on copper staining that leads to "negative staining", but works well, is very fast and simple.

- Rinse gel 10-30s in H2O
- incubate in 300 mM CuCl2. The gel stains in 3-5 min: background becomes opaque, the protein bands remain clear. Sensibility is as good (slightly better) than Coomassie.

The gel can be stored in H2O (but proteins diffuse after a while), destained for other staining (Coomassie, silver...), by incubation in 50 mM EDTA 5-10 min.

CuCl2 and EDTA solutions can be re-used.

Discard Cu in appropriate waste.

From Lee et al, 1987, Anal. Biochem 166, 308-312.

Cécile