Hi,
if you use pLysS E coli strains and you're working with soluble cytoplasmic
proteins, a couple of cycles of freeze-thawing in LN2 will break your cells
pretty well with high protein recovery, without the need of extra exotic
chemicals added to your mixture. Just put some DNAse to avoid excess
viscosity of your sample and get rid of nonspecifically bound DNA. If the
cells are not pLysS, the same method works fine if you add to your lysis
buffer a bit of lysozyme and do a couple more cycles.

Regarding protein stain, here's my suggestion for a 5-minute clean,
efficient stain-destain protocol (with microwave, though):
- after running your gel, put it in a glass beaker or even better in one of
those low-profile glass containers used to make ice baths, filled with ~1 cm
of deionized water
- microwave the gel for 1 minute, max power (on my microwave, 1000W)
-wash out the water, then add 40 ml of PageBlue. Cover your container with a
paper towel (do not seal it), and microwave 3 times for 15 seconds at
maximum power (1000W), gently shaking the container between the cycles. The
blue stain should never boil. If you see that it starts boiling, reduce the
length of the cycles.
- collect back the blue stain solution, rinse the gel with water (again, 1
cm in the container), and microwave for 30 seconds. Change the water again
1-2 times. it’s done, low background, ready for imaging.
In my hands, the whole procedure takes less than 5 minutes and gives
beautiful gels. The PageBlue solution that we use (Fermentas) is much more
sensitive than standard coomassie R250 and can be re-used an incredible
number of times. This makes this staining solution cheap despite the cost of
a 1L bottle (I am staining 3-4 gels per week and I’ve been using the same
50ml tube of PageBlue for the last 3 months at least). Without the
microwave, the same solution works well if you stain 10' and destain in
water for about 1 hour.

HTH,

Federico Forneris, PhD
-------
Crystal and Structural Chemistry
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research - Utrecht University
Padualaan 8
3584 CH UTRECHT - The Netherlands
Tel. +31 (0) 30 253 2868 - Fax +31 (0) 30 253 3940
http://www.crystal.chem.uu.nl/group-gros/