What is the single Latin word for troll?

Kendall

On Apr 1, 2012, at 3:06 PM, "Kevin Jin"
<kevin...@gmail.com<mailto:kevin...@gmail.com>> wrote:

“I hope and believe that this is not the case.  Even basically-trained
crystallographers should be able to calculate and    interpret difference maps
of the kind described by Bernhard.  And with the EDS and PDB_REDO server, one
does not even need to know how to make generate a difference map...”

You are right!

Actually, I am not an experienced protein crystallographer. I have learnt a lot
from CCP4BB. I may have paid too much attention to bonding angle and bond
length, like in small molecule. This may be an example to share with you.

When I worked on those nitroreductase complexed with FMN in 2009 (?), I always
observed that the flavin ring presented a strange geometry after refinement.
Indeed, I had used the definition of FMN from CCP4 library all the time.

In some cases, the methyl group at position of either 7a or 8a was bent off the
aromatic ring, if the whole the rest of flavin was restrained in a flat plane.
According to my limited knowledge from organic chemistry, carbon of 7 and 8 on
the flavin ring is sp2 hybridized in a coplanar manner. How could those methyl
groups be bent as sp3 hybridization? Any chemistry behind?

With increased resolution (1.6 ~ 1.8 Ang), I observed that the electron density
map was a bent along the N5-N10 axis. The bend angle was around ~16 degree.
Again, I questioned myself why it was bent? Should this be correct?

According to my limited knowledge in chemistry, N10 should be sp3 configuration
even if FMN is in its oxidization form, in which the flavin ring should be
bent. A quick “google” immediately gave me a link to a very nice paper
published by David W. Rodgers in 2002.

http://www.jbc.org/content/277/13/11513.full.pdf+html

According to this paper, Yes!  “In the oxidized enzyme, the flavin ring system
adopts a strongly bent (16°) conformation, and the bend increases (25°) in the
reduced form of the enzyme,…”

When I reported this in the group meeting, I was laughed and told that this is
just a model bias. It was over interpreted.  Nobody has such sharp vision on
electron density map.  If this was correct, why nobody could find this and
report to CCP4 within last 7 years?

Eventually, a senior team member emailed to CCP4 about this issue. Since then,
the definition of FMN was updated, according to my suggestion.

I was asked “how did you find it?”……. “why you believed you are so right?”  I
really don’t how to answer.

Je pense donc je suis

Kevin

--
Kevin Jin

Sharing knowledge each other is always very joyful......

Website: http://www.jinkai.org/