People who raise their voices for a prolonged storage of raw images miss a
simple fact that the volume of collected data increases proportionally if not
faster than the cost of storage space drops. I just had an opportunity to
collect data with the PILATUS detector at SSRL and say you that monster allows
slicing the data 4-5 times thinner than other detectors do. Some people also
like collecting very redundant data sets. Even now, transferring and storage of
raw data from a synchrotron is a pain in the neck, but in a few years it may
become simply impractical. And all this hassle is for the only real purpose of
preventing data fraud? An't there a cheaper and more adequate solutions to the
problem?

I also wonder why after the first occurrence of data fraud several years ago,
PDB did not take any action to prevent its appearance in the future? Or
administrative actions are simply impossible nowadays without a mega-dollar
grant?