Please excuse my ignorance, but I cannot understand why Rmerge is unreliable
for estimation of the resolution?
I mean, from a theoretical point of view, <1/sigma> is indeed a better
criterion, but it is not obvious from a practical point of view.

<1/sigma> depends on a method for sigma estimation, and so same data processed
by different programs may have different <1/sigma>. Moreover, HKL2000 allows
users to adjust sigmas manually. Rmerge estimates sigmas from differences
between measurements of same structural factor, and hence is independent of our
preferences.  But, it also has a very important ability to validate consistency
of the merged data. If my crystal changed during the data collection, or
something went wrong with the diffractometer, Rmerge will show it immediately,
but <1/sigma>  will not.

So, please explain why should we stop using Rmerge as a criterion of data
resolution?

Alex
Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
10901 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, California 92037